Wireless faxing does exist, but there is no such thing as a wireless fax machine. A fax machine needs to be connected to a landline phone and plugged into a power source. However, the term "wireless fax" refers to the ability to send and receive faxes over the Internet. This means that you can fax without a landline telephone.
This term emerged due to recent technological advancements. Sending documents without a physical phone line is now possible by integrating Wi-Fi with fax and VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol). Wi-Fi connectivity is what enables wireless faxing.
How Wireless Document Transmission Works Over Wi-Fi?
Sending and receiving faxes without being tethered to a phone line is made possible by wireless faxing. You can conveniently fax from anywhere with a stable internet connection and the right device, such as your smartphone, laptop, or tablet.
Wireless faxing is driven by VoIP technology, which converts your voice into digital data and transmits it over the Internet. VoIP utilizes Internet Protocol, the same technology that enables browsing the Internet, sending emails, and streaming videos.
To transmit a faxed document, the process involves converting it into small data files, which are then transmitted using VoIP technology. Subsequently, the receiving fax machine converts these small data files back to the original image.
What are the Ways Wi-Fi And Fax Interact?
An online fax service utilizing your existing Wi-Fi or cellular connection offers the most convenient way to fax wirelessly. Fax from iPhone for instance, exemplifies such a service and empowers you to send and receive faxes from any location using your smartphone or tablet. Now this is the best app to fax from an iPhone, which you can find in the App Store. It has additional tools to improve wireless fax technology. Firstly, this is untethered communication. Secondly, data protection technology. Thirdly, the ability to instantly scan documents and send them.
Benefits of sending a fax from a smartphone using the fax from iPhone app:
- To ensure the security of your data, the application employs the latest security measures, including military-grade encryption. Your documents are securely stored on servers and only authorized users can access them.
- You have access to premium customer support around the clock, every day of the year. The live chat feature ensures immediate assistance without any delays.
- You can fax and sign documents in a single step, making it convenient for contracts and other documents that require an electronic signature. Digital signatures are legally binding and undergo signer identity verification.
- The application complies with HIPAA regulations for privacy and security in the US healthcare industry, as well as GLBA for financial institutions.
- It works flawlessly with CRM, EMR, and document management systems. No need to sign in to another account, send faxes directly from your preferred app.
Will Fax Over Wi-Fi Technology Replace Fax Machines?
Physical fax machines used to be the only option for sending faxes before the availability of wireless printer faxes. However, their drawbacks led to their phasing out.
- For one, these machines were bulky, occupying significant space in offices. They also incurred high costs for purchasing, maintenance, phone lines, paper, ink, and regular upkeep.
- Furthermore, physical machines were limited to a single location, rendering remote faxing impossible. Users had to be physically present to send or receive documents.
- The impracticality of traditional fax machines in modern remote working environments limits their usability. These devices were also plagued with reliability issues, such as paper jams and mechanical problems.
- Managing and storing sent and received faxes using traditional methods was time-consuming and hindered organizational efficiency.
Given these disadvantages, the transition to wireless faxing is an obvious choice for businesses.
Wireless fax machines may not exist, but wireless faxing is indeed possible. You can achieve this by employing either an online fax service to send faxes wirelessly from any of your devices or by connecting your smartphone to a fax machine using a mobile phone connection. This eliminates the need for a landline phone altogether.
The concept of "wireless fax" refers to sending documents via WiFi from your smartphone, laptop, tablet, or desktop to a fax number. This process is often facilitated by a VOIP device or a phone jack.