As IT professionals, we all understand how important it is to keep your data secure. You know that any breach could result in lost revenue and reputation damage. Yet many of us are still afraid to move our databases to the cloud because of security concerns. Even though cloud computing is more secure than traditional data centers, you still need to be aware that it’s not impenetrable. But if you take advantage of remote DBA services, you can dramatically increase the safety of your databases.
What is a remote DBA?
An online DBA (database administrator) is somebody who manages databases remotely. They may be used to manage databases within the cloud or on-premise, in addition to any kind of database.
An online DBA has all of the experience and skills of the local DBA, however, they work at home or any other location instead of at the company's office. This enables you to access them 24/7 without getting to cover their travel expenses or workplace costs and in addition, it implies that you shouldn't have to allow them to relocate if they are already living elsewhere!
What kinds of databases can be managed by a remote DBA?
If you're looking to hire a remote DBA, the first thing you should know is that they can manage all types of databases. This includes:
- SQL Server (Microsoft)
- Oracle (Oracle)
- MySQL (MySQL)
- PostgreSQL (Postgres)
- MariaDB - an open source fork of MySQL. It's similar in many ways but has some new features, including native support for JSON data types and full text search capabilities
What are some of the key challenges that businesses face when managing databases?
When you are managing databases, you need to consider numerous factors. Availability is among the most significant, since in case your database is not available when users require it, they cannot do their jobs. Security is yet another key consideration: should there be vulnerabilities in your body that may allow online hackers access or any other issues like data breaches occur due to poor safety measures (or no measures whatsoever), this may be disastrous for the company.
Performance and scalability will also be significant factors. You need to make certain that even while more and more people make use of your application and data grows bigger with time, performance does not suffer an excessive amount. Lastly, cost containment should be taken into consideration too even though many companies may have budgets put aside particularly for infrastructure costs like servers or space for storage on cloud platforms for example AWS or Google Cloud Platform (GCP), these expenses can also add up rapidly without careful management by managers who understand how best begin using these sources efficiently without compromising speed or security needs.
Why should you consider using a remote DBA service provider?
- Cost savings. A remote DBA service provider can provide you with the expertise you need but at a fraction of the cost.
- Reducing the risk of data loss and downtime. A remote DBA service provider's team members are experts who can help prevent data from being lost or unavailable when you need it most and they'll be able to do this from anywhere in the world!
- Increased efficiency throughout your business processes because you don't have to hire an extra staff member for every task that needs completing; instead, all your resources can be focused on running your company instead of managing databases or other technical tasks
What other factors should you consider when choosing a remote DBA service provider?
When you're looking for a remote DBA service provider, it's important to think about more than just the cost. You should also consider the following factors:
- Does the provider have experience with your specific database? If you're using Oracle or SQL Server, does your potential DBA partner have experience with those technologies?
- What technology stack are they using? Are they running their servers on Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure? Is their code written in Python or Ruby on Rails? Knowing what kind of tools and environments they use can help you get an idea of whether or not they'll be able to meet your needs.
- Is there 24/7 support available if something goes wrong with my database processing tasks? This one seems obvious enough; if something goes wrong at 2 AM EST when there aren't any humans around at all hours like most companies are open 24 hours per day then I won't be able to fix it myself either!
How do remote DBAs integrate with IT teams and existing infrastructure?
In case your organization comes with an existing IT team, they are likely able to handle the day-to-day upkeep of your database atmosphere. Within this situation, an online DBA might be able to assist with more complicated tasks like reporting or infrastructure optimization.
For those who have a current infrastructure and wish to keep costs down by outsourcing a number of your database management tasks to a 3rd party provider (like us!), then getting several remote DBAs within the company will make sense for you too.
Remote DBAs are becoming more common and provide many benefits for businesses.
Remote DBAs might help your company cut costs, improve security, increase scalability, ensure availability and ease of access, offer versatility in hiring and training talent, accelerate processes with automation tools, or perhaps make sure they are more reliable by applying guidelines that have been tested with time by others.
As you can tell, there are lots of advantages to utilizing a remote DBA company. If you are searching for somebody who can help manage your databases, we advise looking at our listing of suggested providers in the end. We have an infographic that summarizes many of these points so that you can share it with other people who might take advantage of being familiar with this subject!